11.11.2009

Tap Class

For those of you who don't know:
 I am teaching an after school tap class for 12 at risk 2nd grade girls.  We have been having class for about 5 weeks I think and it has been wonderful!  The smile on those girls faces when they get to make noise with their taps is priceless. They are doing really well at learning their steps, following directions, and even keeping their feet quiet while I am talking!  I had one little girl write for her teacher that her favorite thing to do at school and at home was tap dance!  That was wonderful to hear!  I am really hoping that this will give them hope and encouragement to try new things and be creative.  Most of them come from homes where they aren't encouraged to work hard, do their best, get exposed to art, or smile and get and give hugs and encouraging words....but in our class we smile, laugh, encourage each other, give hugs, be positive,work hard, and get creative.  Hopefully the Lord will use our 45 minutes once a week to make lasting impacts on these girls futures!  
I love black and white films, big band music, 50's and 60's music, Fred Astaire, Ellenor Powell, Frank, etc,etc......and these girls no nothing about any of that so I take some time each week to remedy that!  Tristan made me a DVD of lots of old black and white tap clips from old movies and I show a clip every week.  The girls love it and constantly remark on how old the videos must be!  I came across a wonderful video of Ellenor Powell in my search for clips and just have to share it with the blog world.  I wish I could have made a career out of tapping like she did!  Also, I am such a fan of Ms. Powell that I hope to one day name a daughter after her!
 I hope you enjoy the video and that it reminds you to pray for all my little girls! 

Click Here to watch the video!

No comments: